Advancement of sustainability
Submitted by superadmin on Thu, 2009-11-12 10:25
Your rating: None
Park planning and design will
- Advance design as a larger community investment with the park as one component
- Emphasize people and relationships as core to sustainability.
- Inspire stewardship and exercise leadership through demonstration of sustainable practices; allow parks to become classrooms of sustainable design
- Integrate responsible design and planning processes
- View stewardship holistically and embed conservation in all park philosophies and practices
- Include cultural, natural, and operational systems
This is important because
- Managing park resources to maximize resilience, optimize biodiversity, enhance habitat connectivity, makes healthy, vibrant ecosystems locally, regionally, nationally, globally.
- Sustainability embedded in all activities enhances community and stewardship.
- Thoughtful planning and design and sustainable places go are interrelated
- Implementing sustainable planning and design examples is the best public education
Core design considerations
- Understand what is really needed before a project starts
- Reuse wherever possible and practical.
- Consider fiscal realities - do no economic harm. But also aspire to the best possible solutions - fund raise if needed,.
- Identify and respect the limits of acceptable change.
- Use design to challenge partners and administrative operations to foster and develop innovative and green technologies.
- Design and build for multiple uses.
- Create flexible spaces
- Design for simplicity and ease of maintenance
- Aspire to a sustainable park system
- Always consider the spirit of place
- Be overt - green design should shine
- Build in climate change scenarios in each design